Sunday, October 11, 2009

Serendipity - and my tryst with scrambled eggs

Scrambled eggs have always fascinated me - well, at least ever since I figured out that this dish is vastly different than its Indianised version, i.e. bhurji or khagina.

I tried cooking up scrambled eggs several times (too many to count), trying to get the perfect 'pillowy-soft almost-set' eggs. I fiddled around with cooking times, ingredients (cream/milk/cream+milk/cheese and so on), techniques (whisk eggs like mad, add to the pan, add cream and then scramble over high heat/ whisk eggs and milk together, scramble over medium heat/ mix eggs and cream and milk (no whisking!) and scramble over very low heat and so on) but there would always be some thing which would mar the perfection of the pale golden eggs - either they would be too dry or too runny or horrors! - have a perfect just-set texture which would start giving off watery juices as it cooled. :(

And then, a few weeks ago, I chanced upon the best eggs I have ever made - serendipity! What happened was that I had swirled some oil in the pan over medium heat when I got a phone call. Engrossed in conversation, I only came back to earth when I saw that the oil was about to start smoking. To avoid disaster, (and to minimise the washing-up) I cracked open a couple of eggs straight into the pan. Unfortunately they began to set right away due to the high heat, throwing me into panic - I didnt want fried eggs! I tipped in a rather generous splash of milk and stirred like crazy - all the while going on with my phone conversation (the friend at the other end had no clue she was aiding a culinary discovery!)

And what would you say - the result of this dangerous multitasking resulted in the yummiest, most scrumptiously soft scrambled eggs I have ever managed to make. No runny juices, no disappointingly dry scrambles, no large clods of eggs - but perfectly butter-yellow-shot-with-white soft quilt-like eggs.....and, for a wonder I'd got the seasoning perfectly right too. Bliss!

Sometimes, the best things in life happen by chance. :)

4 comments:

  1. Urja madam! Nice blog, and nice post :)

    - Sujay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzie.....did I get the name right? :)Keep reading, its that what keeps me blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post, enjoyed it. Try adding water instead of milk/cream-the steam from water help them stay soft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah....will try this tip too - thanks! Will keep you posted on how/whether it worked for me! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Analytics